At an orienteering event competitors run a course consisting of a series of control flags, marked on their map, which must be visited in a specific order. At each control there is a punch which must be used to mark a control card, or an electronic station to electronically ‘punch’ an electronic control card. Competitors are timed, the winner being the one to have successfully punched all the controls in the correct order in the shortest possible time!
More information on orienteering can be obtained by visiting some of the great websites listed in the ‘LINKS’ section of our website, such as the Irish Orienteering Association (IOA) and International Orienteering Federation (IOF). But the only real way to get a true understanding of orienteering is to come to our next Kerry Orienteers event. All fixtures are listed in the ‘EVENTS’ section of the website where dates and location details are posted. The organisers at every event are more than happy to explain everything that the beginner needs to know an enable them to have a great day out!
Summer 2021 FIXTURES LIST
Sunday 13th June
- Rossbeigh – “Come and Try It Event”
AUTUMN 2021 FIXTURES LIST
- 25th September 2021 – Killarney Street Orienteering
- 26th September 2021 – Ross Island
- 24th October 2021 – Upper Torc (Muckross)
- 27th October 2021 – Rinn na gCros
- 21st November 2021 – Muckross Abbey
- 19th December 2021 – Killarney Street Orienteering